In a surprising public speech at at Georgetown University, FBI Director, James B. Comey, made excuses for police brutality and the use of excessive force towards African-Americans in the United States. According to the NY Times, Comey said,
” … officers who work in neighborhoods where blacks commit crimes at higher rates develop a cynicism that shades their attitudes about race. [And that] that officers — whether they are white or any other race — who are confronted with white men on one side of the street and black men on the other do not view them the same way. The officers develop a mental shortcut that ‘becomes almost irresistible and maybe even rational by some lights’ because of the number of black suspects they have arrested.”
He went on to say law enforcement were not “the root” of the problem and blamed, “environments lacking role models, adequate education and decent employment” and their “lack of opportunity” instead.
Unfortunately, Comey’s reasoning does not address the actual per capita issue of so-called Black crime. His rational would begin to fall apart if he did. He also said that all people have “unconscious racial biases” whether they realize or admit it or not while claiming people, “cannot help their instinctive reactions“.
At least he is admitting to the racism and bias!
Comey said law enforcement needs to,
“ … design systems and processes to overcome that [racism] very human part of us all.”
Sadly, even with this very public admission all the naysayers will still cry, “Nay” and live their lives in denial of a problem that has become epidemic in this country.
On a positive note, Comey said he gave the speech in order to have the dialog we have yet to have in the face of what happened in Ferguson, Missouri surrounding the death of 19-year old Michael Brown.
One thing Challenging the Rhetoric can agree with wholeheartedly from Comey’s speech is that,
“It’s hard to hate up close.”
Heya Comey? The balls in your court to walk the walk you just talked.
If you like this or other Challenging the Rhetoric articles, please share it with others; follow our website, Facebook page and/or follow us @CTRNewsFeed on Twitter. Don’t forget to listen to the LIVE show every Weds. @6pm PST/9pm EST. Thank you!
Please also read other articles published by Challenging the Rhetoric contributors:
- Is the Tea Party a Cult?
- Sex and [National] InSecurity
- Corporate Media Ramps Up Pro-Vaccine Rhetoric
- The Importance of Art in the Struggle for Change
- LIAR OF THE WEEK: NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams and the Bogus Iraq Story
- NOTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE: 50 Shades of Grey Surrounding Death of “Grey State” Filmmaker David Crowley
- LIAR OF THE WEEK: Governor Bobby Jindal and ‘No Go Zones’
- AMERICA’S GROWING OCCUPATIONS: Troops Deployed (Again) Throughout the Middle East
- 2014’s Rise of the “Virgin” Killers and Modern Society’s Impact on Molding Humanity PART 1
- What Really Happened Inside the Isla Vista Apartment of ‘Virgin’ Killer Elliot Rodger?