By CHERI ROBERTS for Challenging the Rhetoric
In a Friday YouTube video, Deborah Jordan, girlfriend of dually indicted internet talk show host Pete Santilli, took time out to explain some of the terms she and others encountered during the pretrial conference this past week. The Voire Dire (pronounced “Vwar Deer”) portion of the trial for 7 of the 26 individuals who were indicted for their participation in the January armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) in Harney County, Oregon, begins next week.
Jordan says individuals have been categorized. Occupation leader Ammon Bundy is listed as the “Conspirator” while the others who are charged are deemed “co-conspirators”. But, what is interesting is that many witnesses have been labeled “unindicted co-conspirators” according to Jordan who cautions listeners,
“Anybody that came to the refuge, and that they can identify them as being at the refuge, whether they’ve said so on Facebook, or given their opinion, or supported in any kind of way. Just you being at the refuge constitutes a supportive role and an unindicted conspirator.”
According to Wikipedia,
“An unindicted co-conspirator, or unindicted conspirator, is a person or entity that is alleged in an indictment to have engaged in conspiracy, but who is not charged in the same indictment. Prosecutors choose to name persons as unindicted co-conspirators for a variety of reasons including grants of immunity, pragmatic considerations, and evidentiary concerns.”
Although the United States Attorneys’ Manual recommends against naming unindicted co-conspirators, it is not prohibited by law or policy.
Jordan explained further saying,
“I think that’s important that folks who were there, and were not indicted, know that they have been labeled, some have been identified through the signing of notebooks, signing-in, also donations, food support, being on camera … doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to get in trouble, it just means that you have been, there are some people out there who have been identified as unindicted co-conspirators.”
Jordan said she hasn’t specifically seen or heard anything that signals trouble coming for the unindicted co-conspirators listed, but will leave that up for listeners to debate.
“The term unindicted co-conspirator was familiarized in 1974 when then president Richard Nixon was named as an unindicted co-conspirator in indictments stemming from the Watergate Investigation. Nixon was not indicted due to concerns about whether the United States Constitution allowed the indictment of a sitting President.”
But even so, Jordan is not so sure and adds,
“Remember, if you were at the refuge, you are now considered an unindicted co-conspirator. What that means for your future, I don’t know.”
*CTR has preserved the audio in its entirety.
Thank you! If you like this or other Challenging the Rhetoric articles, please share. Don’t forget to follow the website, Facebook page and/or@CTRNewsFeed on Twitter and of course listen to the LIVE show every Weds. @ 6pmPST/9pmEST. You can also pick one from the archives or on YouTube. If you would like to leave a TIP via PayPal all gratuities are appreciated.
- SSG Moe Says Some “Patriots” are Witness Tampering
- LIAR OF THE WEEK: Bundy Family and Supporters for “Bullet” and “Beating” Lies
- Gavin Seim and Assemblywoman Michele Fiore Claim Malheur Takeover Defendant Ryan Bundy Beaten in Jail
- DEAL OR NO DEAL: Internet Broadcaster Pete Santilli Says “No” to 6-Year Plea Deal Says Deb Jordan
- The 15 “Pete Santilli Show” Videos Listed in the Federal Government’s Exhibit List for the Oregon Standoff Trials
- Bundy Occupiers Could Have Made Deadly IEDS Using the Explosive Compound Tannerite and Gasoline or with Pressurized Flash 21 and Gasoline at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge
- Oregon Standoff and Bundy Ranch Plea Deals Abound, but What About Those Malheur Explosives?
- “I need help. I don’t know what to do.” Michael Emry Speaks Out from Eugene Oregon Jail
- The Sketchy Unraveling of Bundy Co-Defendant Ryan Payne According to Comedian Artist Scott Klatt
- BREAKING: New Oregon Standoff Indictment Coming Per Ryan Payne Nevada Document